The FZR 1000 and Thunderace 1000 (among others…) share the venerable 5 valve Genesis engine. This engine is very powerful in stock form, being one of the fastest bikes of its time. Not only that, we found it is highly reliable, responds very well to modifications and tuning and can be used in the most diverse applications from circuit racing to dirt tracks.
To improve upon such a good engine, all we do is further Yamaha’s efforts in some key aspects such as:
- Big Bore Kits – 1040cc (using stock sleeves) and 1070cc (resleeve required) – increasing displacement is a sure way to increase both power and torque without sacrificing drivability. We sell our own big bore kit that includes race forged pistons (Wossner), H beam forged steel connecting rods (RPE), high tensile 12 point bolts (RPE) and an MLS headgasket (Cometic).
- High Compression – While increasing the displacement and rebuilding the engine its easy to increase the compression ratio. This results in more efficient combustion and higher output.
- Big Valves – Here we get into a more serious modification. Increasing valve size increases the overall flow.
- Stronger Valve Springs – Allows for more RPM and bigger valves.
- Porting – The Genesis has a very efficient head but when we enlarge the valve size we also port the head to our specifications to complement all other mods.
- Camshafts – By modifying the camshaft profile and timing we can change the power curve to suit our application.
- Gearbox – Undercut the gearbox for more positive engagement.
- Race Crankshaft – We machine the crankshaft lightening it by about 20% (2kg). We also knife edge and polish the crank for lower oil interference. This reduces rotational inertia, less motorcycle weight and easier to turn in due to reduced gyroscopic forces. This process ends with balancing of the crank.
- Carburetors – We recommend FCR carburetors for race applications.
- Exhaust – Hand made exhaust system to suit the application.
- Tuning – All our parts and engines are tested on our rolling road dyno. This is how we measure improvements and tune the carburetors.
These modifications will bring the FZR1000 and Thunderace 1000 engines to full race standards, capable of rivaling even with today’s superbikes.
Please see the videos below for an idea of the performance attainable on a race 1040cc engine.
Watch our YouTube Videos
FZR1000 1040cc Dyno Runs
Phillip Island St.George Race + Qualifying
Phillip Island St.George 2016 Race 1
Phillip Island St.George 2016 Race 2
Phillip Island St.George 2016 Race 3